Thursday, January 03, 2008

My life as a board game

Within the last week we (and by we I mean I) got a little addicted to Settlers of Catan, the game Jeff and Krista introduced us to. Even though people had to leave for the airport at 3:45 a.m. we all played until midnight! It was the most frustrating and rotten round, with certain people rolling 7's every time, which moved the robber continually and kept us from drawing cards we needed. And by we I mean I. My mom was a fierce competitor and even she threatened to call it quits and go to bed. But that gambling adrenaline kicked in to keep the hope and the play alive. My strategy kept shifting and morphing as time went on because I never, never got any stone to be able to build a city. Aargh! See the white pieces on the far side of the board? See there are no (2-storied) cities? Do not use my strategy.

I am questioning my strategy beyond Catan right now. The new year is the perfect time to reflect and evaluate and stay or change course. What cards do I need to move forward and why can't I seem to get that city built? Am I still on the best path? I recently read this prayer:
Dear God, we pray for another way of being: another way of knowing. Across the difficult terrain of our existence we have attempted to build a highway and in so doing have lost our footpath. God lead us to our footpath: Lead us there where in simplicity we may move at the speed of natural creatures and feel the earth's love beneath our feet. Lead us there where step-by-step we may feel the movement of creation in our hearts. And lead us there where side-by-side we may feel the embrace of the common soul. Nothing can be loved at speed. God lead us to the slow path; to the joyous insights of the pilgrim; another way of knowing: another way of being. Amen. (Michael Leunig, The Prayer Tree)

This guy is content to be led, move slowly and love along the way. Every year I receive a word to think about as I move along "the difficult terrain of my existence." I don't know my word yet, but my desire and prayer lately has been about hearing deeply. I trust my word will show up at the right time on my footpath. I, too, want to be led by God and want to love along the way. It's the slowness of the path that tempts me to want to trade my cards in.

If you want to pray for me: patience, peace, and insight would be welcomed.

1 Comments:

Blogger soul and culture said...

I'm praying.

Funny, before I got to the last paragraph I was wondering to myself what my word will be for this year. Thanks for the reminder that I don't have to make it up.

8:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home