Thursday, September 13, 2007

I miss her already


Some writers and singers become my friends. I feel that we know each other. They share a portion of their lives with me and they say things which speak directly to my heart, often at exactly the right time. They are a gift from God and I truly hear God speaking to me through their words or songs. Maybe other people do not experience this, but for me there is something transcendent that happens. It becomes part of a larger picture and serves a larger purpose than just being good writing. I think that is one of the greatest things about the arts. I want my own artistic expression to be a vehicle towards something larger and truer. But back to the writers. One in particular was a great help to me as I was going through transition and uncertainty and emotional distress back in the early 80's. Madeleine L'Engle had several non-fiction books called the Crosswicks journals along with a couple of other books which helped pull me through. The book I am fondest of from that time is Walking on Water. It is about faith and art and inspired and encouraged me in many ways. Madeleine L'Engle died a few days ago. I felt sad when I read about it, but strangely happy thinking about her new surroundings and remembering how much she impacted my life with her writing.

"Goodbye, old friend. And thank you."

1 Comments:

Blogger Susan said...

I read A Wrinkle in Time when I was in grammar school and I have never forgotten it. I was also sad to hear a few days ago that she had died. I need something new to read. I'll take your advice and try Walking on Water.

4:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home