Thursday, September 13, 2007

Why?

Why do I take a bunch of books on trips? They usually come back with markers on the same page as when they got packed to go. I'm doing it again. This time I will have at least a week of sitting in the hospital and some amount of time in a motel room. Surely I will be able to get something read. Since I can't decide on one book, five are going. I will be with my mom while my dad has surgery and then we will likely take shifts if we need to stay in the room with him at night after the initial period in intensive care. So, I will have my printed companions along for the more lengthy stays. I really don't like TV and I'm hoping it's not on 24/7. That could make me a little crazy.

The books that will travel with me:
Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott
Christ Plays in Ten Thousand Places by Eugene Peterson
The Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion (borrowed from my friend)
Creativity, Flow and the Psychology of Discovery and Invention by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi (whew what a name), a book I found today at Borders while looking for a different book on the brain
and a pocket Sudoku book (I am not at all into this, but am going to give it a try in order to exercise my brain.)
If you have read any of these, please leave a comment and let me know what you thought.

3 Comments:

Blogger soul and culture said...

You know I love me some Anne Lamott. Bird by Bird is in my top 5 all-time favorite books.

I'll likely take Christ Plays on my trip and try to get through some of it then.

You may find Sudoku to be quite addicting. I always have one around close. Great for airline or hospital entertainment.

Traveling mercies to you.

9:38 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Thanks. I'll be thinking of you (and your dad) while away. This is a crummy part of life, isn't it, hospitals and all that. But this trip is so prayer infused (a special thanks to friends here) that I think it will be significant.

9:54 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

It took me a month to read Christ Plays in Ten Thousand Places. Every single word was carefully chosen and dripping with significance. I had to stop at nearly every sentence and think, absorb, and then think some more. I finished yesterday, and I already feel like I should read it again.

There were two topics that I wish were included with more detail: 1.) the impact and influence of the stranger in our struggle to live as the book recommends; and 2.) the how of living in community.

I look forward to more from Eugene Peterson. He is quite amazing in his ability to wring sense and meaning from Ten Thousand Places. And, he is a phenomenal writer!

4:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home