Sunday, August 20, 2006

Worship design?

Interior design
Exterior design
Fountain design
Business card design
Web design
Worship design

Guess I have been doing some design lately, now that I think about it. When people ask if I'm still doing graphic design, I sometimes sputter a bit. It has taken a different turn lately, so in addition to business graphics I have a few other things going. They are all fun and creative and I enjoy each as I am doing it, but tonight I really enjoyed setting up the response portion of the worship service. Kathy spoke on Luke 6 and the necessity of being a people who are forgivers.
The first table provided a place for reflection about an act of forgiveness we need to do. It held colored papers, pens, candles, green glass pebbles, and a large green glass bowl in the center, which filled with the papers as each person wrote something and dropped it in.



A second table was set with a large footed bowl filled with bread and a square vase full of wine to dip into, to celebrate communion and our being forgiven. A bouquet of roses in the center along with candles, rose petals and more glass pebbles filled the table before a glass "basket" of rose petals at the end for a take-away. God's way of love and forgiveness is a beautiful thing and we portrayed it as such. Holding a soft, smooth, fragrant petal while back in our seats was a reminder of what had transpired The large bowl full of papers (our individual prayers, wishes and willingness to forgive) was held up as a prayerful fragrant offering to God.

4 Comments:

Blogger steph said...

I have often wondered how communion and worship could more fully bring my senses alive - I see here how it can be so and how it is full of the breath of Jesus. This creativity itself was worship.

8:38 PM  
Blogger kathy said...

jenny, it was a beautiful night for me personally. the tables, set so beautifully and then the laying down in an intentional way my cry to God to help me forgive what must be forgiven in order for me to be free. then the taking of the bread and the wine, a reminder of Jesus' forgiveness to me. so much He has lavished on me, how can i not pass it on? yet it is easier said than done. but this night was yet another step in the process, a surrendering, a letting go, and movement toward Him and away from the ugliness. jenny, thanks for helping create the beauty..

10:16 PM  
Blogger karl said...

we are for sure multi sensory people. God is always in beauty, that viceral response to something bigger than me. your special touch made such a difference!
i confess i have always been intrigued and drawn to architecture and interior design, it is what non artist can do.

3:14 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

I have searched for my "purpose" since I was 9 years old (I was blissfully not spending too much time in my head before that). Almost 40 years later, I have finally come to the conclusion that my purpose in life is to worship God.

I can do that in many different ways, from the simple to the complex, publically and privately, by example, by conversation with Him, by gratefulness and appreciation, by actions, by the "Wow! You are such a big Guy!" moments. I can think of no better reason to be alive.

Now I really know what He means when He says, "...I came so they can have real and eternal life, more and better life than they ever dreamed of." - John 10:10, The Message.

His messages are subtle and sometimes hard to understand until you percolate on them for awhile and then, Whoa - the experience! I can't believe it took me this long, but stubborn I am, and dense I can sometimes be. I'm so glad that God is patient!

8:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home