Monday, March 20, 2006

Brain freeze


If we only use a small portion of our brain capacity, why does it hurt so much to learn new technology? Isn't there lots of brain power available? OK, I know that the under 30 crowd doesn't deal with this, but it's hard for me to learn tech skills if they are not intuitive. In designing print media I can drag objects around and place them on the page. In styling a page for the web, a blog, etc. I have to learn a completely new language that makes little sense to me. I work in a supposed WYSWYG (what you see is what you get) software program and it doesn't exactly work that way! The last week or so I have been trying to understand CSS (style sheets that set visual presentation)--going through tutorials, creating a test site, uploading photos to Flickr, etc. in order to increase my web design abilities. My brain is tired and I need a breakthrough. If only I shared my loft office with a couple of other designer/web savvy types, how much quicker I could get over the brain freeze, pick up the skills, make corrections, and actually get it! We could even laugh our way through the problems and collaborate on projects. I am so looking forward to seeing my friend this week who can listen to my frustrations and shed light on the dark places in my process.

Isn't that they way it works in life, too? I have skills in one area and you have them in another. When we add our ideas together we get a bigger picture (and a better product.) I hit the wall and I need someone to shed light on this dark place. Maybe you are a good listener who can help me process.You point me to truth. You need someone to make you laugh, ease your stress, and help you gain new perspective. I hang out with you and am there for you. There are times when we shop, cook, watch a movie, or pray together. The icy patches begin to thaw. We gain traction and are able to pull out of our rut and gain momentum.

I am surrounded by books, definitive guides, tutorials, and coffee cups. It's just not the same as having someone near by with whom to tackle a problem or snag.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sharon said...

All of that techical talk leaves me in the dust, but I do understand the need we have for one another. Even in prayer -- when I lack faith in some area, you lift up my prayers to the Father for me. And I for you, when you are tired of praying the same way with what seems to be silence as His only response.
My technical needs are simple but impossible, today, it would seem. I just want to add photos to my blog. So I was thinking, before I came to this blog, I need Jenny RIGHT HERE!

3:05 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

linda: your new site is very nice looking! sorry I don't know enough about flash to help you, but check out tutorials and articles at sitepoint.com. and one note of response-i wanted to know who the wewas in the about section.

this blog is named torchwood because we are made of the stuff to become living torches. we need the spark (which we can help to provide each other) to fan into flame to light the world. i am thankful that some of this that can happen virtually 'cause i don't always have my community face to face. we must find ways to come together as joyner talks about.

sharon; prayer is certainly not hampered or diluted by distance, but i sure miss last year's regular times together! about pics-you may want to upload to flickr.com where you can choose different sizes and they provide you the correct link address to insert for each. you might also size your picture down (and resample to resolution of 72) in a photo program) before you upload to blogger or flickr. makes the whole process faster.

1:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home