Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Yes and No

Torchwood was started as a group blog for a women's leadership team. This post is by Susan:

I've been thinking about this verse alot lately:

Matthew 5:37 "But let your statement be, 'Yes, yes' or 'No, no'; and anything beyond these is of evil."

About this, Ras Robinson was quoted at http://elijahlist.com/words2/display_word.html?ID=10 ...

"Guard your heart. And be careful about your words. I want you to put a high bar for the words you use. Measure them with great care. Careless words cause so much harm in offenses. Your promises need to be your bonded word. Do not speak until you have My word in your mouth. Refuse to let others put their words in your mouth. And with this comes a loyalty to Me first of all and then to all with whom you communicate. Remember Noah and how his son uncovered him. Do not uncover. And if you have, confess the sin and bring it to me. We want to stop betrayals and drive them totally out. Be careful of betrayals."

"Refuse to let others put their words in your mouth. And with this comes a loyalty to Me first of all and then to all with whom you communicate. "

This is the key. It covers everything. It refuses untruths and eschews belittling and throwing rocks. But it also supports the naming of evil when evil emerges.

"Do not speak until you have My word in your mouth."

How do I know when God's word is in my mouth? It's clear when it's there. If I have any doubt, then that's a good indication that I should keep my mouth shut.


1 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

Ah, truth. And where does it reside before it is in the mouth?
(Matt. 12:34)
Now the God of peace...equip you in every good thing to do his will, working in us that which is pleasing in his sight, through Jesus Christ, to whom be the glory forever and ever. Amen.

I'd like to suggest unpacking this verse (Heb. 13:21)and looking closely at the processes and ideas that can be applied to our present situation, especially in regard to truth thinking/truth telling/truth living.

What thinkest thou?

9:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home