Tuesday, June 28, 2005

I'm counting on it

"For I know the thoughts and plans that I have for you, says the Lord, thoughts and plans for welfare and peace and not for evil, to give you hope in your final outcome." (Jer. 29:11)


That's the way the Amplified Bible puts it. Words like welfare, peace, and hope sound good to me. They are a very warm bath on a cold night.

When my feet are freezing I can't get to sleep. My toes can ache for hours. A soak in hot water solves the problem. I'm toasty and relaxed and it doesn't even occur to me to worry about getting to sleep. It just happens.

Why should I worry when there are plans for my future and my hope? That's choosing to lie there aching in the cold. Soaking in his presence could warm me up and help me to relax (read Let go!) I must need it because it sounds so comforting to me at this moment. Can you feel it? Falling back into his arms, your dead weight easily supported, buoyed up, while the battle rages all around and you are fast asleep. You are safe, you are resting. He is fighting while singing you a lullabye.

Ahh, doesn't that feel better…?

1 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

I like your word 'enclosure'. It adds hiddenness and safety to the image.

7:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home